Job categories Security
Vacancy code VA/2023/B5406/26434
Department/office LCR, HTCO, Haiti
Duty station Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Contract type Local ICA Specialist
Contract level LICA Specialist-8
Duration Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds, and satisfactory performance.
Application period 22-Aug-2023 to 05-Sep-2023
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
- Advisory and Technical
- Knowledge Sharing and Knowledge Building
1. Advisory and Technical
- Support the Senior Field Security Advisor in all safety and security components and in alignment to the UN Security Management System, UNDSS and UNOPS policies, guidelines, procedures.
- Provides support in conducting security assessment and provides advice on security measures as well as on latest trends and threats to personnel.
- In line with the UN Security Management System methodology, policies, and procedures, provide support in conducting security risk assessments outlining potential threats, risks levels and recommended mitigation strategies for office and project operations, taking into consideration relevant and existing assessments.
- Monitors the compliance with the Security Risk Management measures and Standard Operating Procedures established in Haiti Country Office and alerts the Management on changes.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of security procedures in the country, with the purpose of reducing the risk levels for UNOPS personnel and other assets, which includes but not limited emergency evacuation procedures and access control.
- Upon incidents and crises, provide substantial support to the Senior Field Security Advisor in responding efficiently and effectively to the event.
- Provides security-related inputs and support in the implementation of Business continuity Plans in the country.
- Maintain regular contacts with UNDSS and provide relevant information and support on issues related to UNOPS.
- Assist the Senior Field Security Advisor in monitoring expenses related to security operations.
- Provide assistance in the preparation of the annual security work plan.
- Maintain an up-to-date database of personnel and their dependents, information related to UNOPS offices, residences, project sites, focal points, and the warden system for the implementation of the office/operation’s security plan.
- Provide support to the Senior Field Security Advisor in maintaining relevant instructions for security arrangements, such as security and evacuation plans for ready access by all parties.
- Support the Senior Field Security Advisor in ensuring the smooth and efficient evacuation of UNOPS staff members, personnel, and recognized dependents, managing the implementation of UNDSS and UNOPS evacuation and extrication policies, and supporting implementation of UNSMS procedures.
- Provide guidance to personnel when responding to incidents, emergencies and alarms.
- Ensure that all security related incidents that may have an impact on UNOPS projects or programmes are documented in line with established practices.
- Represents UNOPS in Security Coordination meetings in the absence of the supervisor. Under the guidance of the Senior Field Security Advisor, plan and coordinate security operations for specific events and visits, including planning for contingencies.
- Perform security assessments, both routine and exceptional, as required, to ensure optimal safety standards are in place for staff traveling across the area of operation.
- Prepare security reports, tables, databases and charts as required.
- Maintain accurate multi-sourced country records on current and projected security issues (assessments, security plans, etc.) and brief necessary staff and personnel as required.
- Provide support in managing the evaluation of the main office, facilities, residential compounds, as well as country offices and compounds, providing guidance and procedures for achieving full compliance with the mandatory mitigation measures and RSM compliance.
- Supports the management of providers of security services to the office, contributing to procurement procedures as needed.
- Monitor and support staff adherence to, and compliance with, the various UNDSS advisories, in particular: directions related to warden systems; mandatory mitigation measures); residential security management (RSM), etc.
- Coordinate with the local government authorities and security organizations to gather and assess information on security and safety matters that might affect UNOPS personnel and programmes located in various areas in the country and provide analysis of security related information obtained to the Senior Field Security Advisor.
- Determine, manage and account for the use of security equipment including security communications equipment.
- Ensure and update communication trees and ensure plans for communication in emergencies.
- Contribute to project planning, to assess planned activities, foreseeable risks and mitigating measures.
|3. Knowledge Sharing and Knowledge Building|
- Collaborate in developing and delivering staff development and training programs for UNOPS personnel and security focal points, including on Security Risk Assessments within the area of operation.
- Collaborate in organizing, facilitating and/or delivering training and learning initiatives for Business Unit personnel on Security related topics.
- Assist the Senior Field Security Advisor in ensuring that all UNOPS personnel receive briefings upon initial arrival, local security training as necessitated by changes in the security environment, and are kept informed of matters affecting their security.
- Maintain up-to-date instructions and training for personnel on implementation of the security plan, including required precautions, comprehensive listing of emergency supplies, and guidance on action taken during emergencies, including natural disasters and political crises.
- Participate in providing heightened security awareness training to personnel, beyond the required security and emergency procedures, if necessary.
- Ensure the attendance of UNOPS personnel to security training organized by UNDSS at the duty station. Maintains records of participation.
- Completion of secondary education required.
- First-level university degree (e.g. Bachelor) in security management, business administration, political/social science or international relations, police/military science or other relevant field with focus on security and security management may be considered as a substitute for 4 years of work experience.
Note: Please add/upload copies of your academic qualifications (diplomas, degrees, certifications, etc.) as mentioned in your profile when submitting your application.
- With a high school diploma, a minimum of 8 years experience in national security management, civilian police or military is required.
- Direct experience with the United Nations Security Management System is a strong advantage.
- Proficiency in computer skills, including Google Workspace, is required.
- Fluency in French and Haitian Creole are required.
- Intermediate level of English is required.