In the past six years, the war between the Houthis and the IRG has killed over 18,000 civilians in Yemen and the overall humanitarian operating environment remains extremely challenging.
6 Humanitarian developments to watch in 2021
- Houthis advancement towards Marib city
- Amplified US efforts for peace in Yemen
- Fragile peace agreement
- Renewed conflict triggering secondary or onward displacement
- Increased food prices as a result of the continuous depreciation of the Yemeni ria (YER)
- Deteriorating humanitarian access
This report summarises key developments that affected the humanitarian situation in Yemen in 2020 and highlighting issues to watch in 2021.